p/ sure gandalf was meant to be based on odin anyway so seems legit
Yeah he actually 100% was.
I could go on for eons about how Gandalf was originally and intentionally written as a manifestation of Odin, but I’ll just suffice to say that literally every single word that came out of his mouth and every single word on the page that was written in description of this character was Odin.
Tolkien wrote his trilogy with the intent of creating a mythology for England, since their mythos was lost due to the Christians (join the club amirite), so he drew on the Scandinavian lore to form it. Gandalf is Odin, Balrög is Surtr, etc.
Literally, the word Gandalf is Old Norse for “Gray Elf”. Elves were considered highly magickal beings in and of themselves, so it fits, really. Also Gandalf was the name of one of the dwarves of Nidavellir, listed in the Prose Edda.
;lkasjdf I’m getting myself going, but yeah I won’t write you a novel. xD
- iki-teru reblogged this from robinade
- asummerofbooks reblogged this from robinade
- thesabbit reblogged this from robinade and added:
- kissmywonderwoman likes this
- gallifreyancloisterbell reblogged this from robinade
- aj-watson likes this
- youandibreatheconstellations likes this
- gallifreyancloisterbell likes this
- thedisreputabledog likes this
- myevilfrenchtwin likes this
- trollunge likes this
- robinade reblogged this from cordiallykilling
- robinade likes this
- theladyserket likes this
- cordiallykilling posted this