So, I’m working on a big Sterek thing, have been working on it for a while. Among other things too.
Yet with all that’s been going on, I’m considering just stopping and not finishing it because, really, some people in the Sterek fandom are absolutely freaking insane and giving the pairing a bad name. I do not understand how this shifted into cray cray territory recently, and I’m not sure I want to be associated with that either.
Why does it have to be this violent, aggressive, shipping trend instead of celebrating how fun and interesting it could be without actually harassing the cast, the crew, and everyone involved about it? It’s getting embarassing and making the people involved a bit uncomfortable too. There is a difference between supporting it happily, positively and hoping it could happen, and being completely batshit insane about it to the point of seriously fucked up and hiding behind one’s screen to become a shipping obsessed aggressive asshole. Reminds me of the worst of some other fandoms too.
This is basically like shooting one-self’s in the foot, and far from constructive. And I find myself slightly digusted by how said people invoke queer baiting, and lack of gay couple on TV as an excuse to be that crazy. I don’t see these people fighting for Danny, the only officially out gay character on the show, so it’s convenient to your pairing only I guess.
This makes me so very fuckin sad. And I’ll probably get hate for that, but really, for those few who are making this very awkward, I wish you would think for a minute about how detrimental this whole behavior is to the ship in question. And it’s creating so much hate in the Teen Wolf fandom too.
I love Sterek but it’s really difficult to stay optimistic in that kind of climate.
This. All of this.
The crazy issue that I’ve seen involved with this fandom is the fact that no matter what happens, you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. You’re either one of the people that’s going crazy and, according to Jeff Davis, sending death threats to the cast and crew of the show. Or you’re one of the ones that’s saying, “Guys. Please knock it off. Dear Teen Wolf, I’m so sorry.”
But then you get jacked up either way.
If you’re in the “let’s send death threats” camp, then you have people telling you to slow the hell down and knock your crap off because you’re just being embarrassing and it’s humiliating for the rest of the fandom. But if you’re in the camp that just wants everyone to calm down and is trying to assure those involved in the show that the entirety of the fandom isn’t crazy, then suddenly you’re trying to speak for the entire fandom and you get blasted with hate for that too. Where does that leave you? Neutral. Mute. Sidelined.
At that point, why even stay involved with the fandom? Where do the lines get drawn? Over here, you’re one of the people that gets yelled at for doing massively stupid things (LIKE SENDING DEATH THREATS) but if you’re one of the people that’s doing the yelling, then you’re shaming the other side into silence and you need to shut up too because you don’t speak for the fans. This was just a fun community when I joined and now I feel like it’s high school all over again every where I turn. I have no idea what cliques are okay so I’m just gonna sit over there and eat my lunch by myself.
Actually, you know what, fuck it, I deleted the original post because of the hate in my askbox (it only took 1 min for people to do that, woooow!!) but here it is, with Arizona’s wondeful answer. Deal with it.
Let’s go have lunch together, Arizona, we can knit pack moms sweaters and talk about how cute actual puppy Scott McCall is. y/y
Reblogging for rational commentary on a serious fandom issue that is by no means limited to Teen Wolf, but is getting especially fraught over there. Seriously, let’s all just enjoy our beautiful MTV teen werewolf show and appreciate the people who make it for us, in a respectful fashion.
- dramavines likes this
- tijerita reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- ladyserafina likes this
- ladyserafina reblogged this from lielabell
- flamingcrap likes this
- apolloandellipses reblogged this from for-the-other-shoe
- missionlameturtle likes this
- onthemat24-7 reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- evilista reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- fishwink likes this
- weasley-detectives likes this
- fannishtalk reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- anndiscworld-phile reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- anndiscworld-phile likes this
- artionn likes this
- merrymccalled likes this
- galacticcaniballs likes this
- kungfunurse reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- merumello reblogged this from swingsetindecember
- sophisto-rotu likes this
- swingsetindecember reblogged this from lielabell and added:
- therealmccall likes this
- jumbledobsessions reblogged this from lielabell
- lielabell reblogged this from for-the-other-shoe
- icomebacktohauntyou reblogged this from daunt and added:
- icomebacktohauntyou likes this
- trashy-romance-novel likes this
- redheadcutie reblogged this from daunt
- sterekallaround reblogged this from daunt
- horchatita likes this
- productofevolution likes this
- productofevolution reblogged this from daunt
- jellysoap likes this
- queendaeny likes this
- obsessionisaperfume reblogged this from arizonagarbage
- obsessionisaperfume likes this
- klutzykat reblogged this from daunt and added:
- clio-jlh likes this
- wordsonastick likes this
- neferkitty-s-tomb reblogged this from marielikestodraw
- paperqueens likes this
- mads-turbation reblogged this from daunt
- raptureofthedance reblogged this from daunt
- lillian-raven reblogged this from daunt
- greynasdire reblogged this from upallnightogetloki
- yuri-puppies likes this
- celemie likes this
- inappropriations likes this
- onethousandrbirds likes this