Just saw someone say that a female Thor is “offensive to people who worship Thor”.
Ah yes, because totally changing Thor’s backstory, mythology, familial relationships, etc for a COMIC isn’t offensive, but making him a woman is. Not to mention it shows a total ignorance that the Norse gods genderbent quite often; Loki and Odin immediately come to mind. Thor himself never genderbent as far as I know (although he did crossdress), but it isn’t inconceivable that he was able to take a woman’s form.
All of this is overlooking that the Thor comics are a work of fiction that significantly deviate from the mythology. Marvel Thor =/= deity Thor.
1. He killed Rogue and Scarlet Witch on his way out the door on Uncanny Avengers. (Two female characters who feature heavily in just released/upcoming movies)
2. He fridged Sharon Carter for Steve Rogers’ manpain. (ANOTHER female character who features in a current movie, wow what are the CHANCES he’d find another one to kill?)
3. He just wrote a story that features a sex scene that a lot of people (especially females and POC, two groups that often feel that their concerns are not taken seriously by comics culture) are finding to be very problematic. It involves alcohol, Sam Wilson (ANOTHER character that was just introduced in a major movie, WOW!) and a female character who may or may not be of age. Although the narrative has established her to be an adult, the fact that Remender felt the need to clearly state her age in the middle of the sequence means that he was aware that most people did not take her to be an adult. To put it another way, when Natasha Romanov has a morning after, it does not involve her saying, “I’m thirty-six.” She doesn’t need to. Everyone KNOWS she is an adult. The fact that the character’s age must be stated indicates that the writer and the editorial staff KNEW it would be an issue, and they moved forward with it anyway.
4. He wrote a speech where a (white, cis, het male who could pass for a non-mutant) character states that he does not approve of the “M-word,” or Mutant, that he considers it divisive. IT IS BAD TO HAVE SUCH LABELS WE SHOULD DO AWAY WITH THEM. This kind of speech, written and spoken from a position of privilege, does not feel like inclusion. It feels like erasure. Having a pretty blonde white boy dismissing the very real problems of people who CANNOT hide their minority identity, dismissing the way they define themselves, because he doesn’t like that word, but doesn’t offer an alternative, smacks of the worst kind of white male privilege, and it sticks in the craw.
4. I do not appreciate his writing aesthetic. I do not appreciate how he treats female characters. I do not approve of the choices he makes. I do not appreciate how he handles his interviews or how he treats fandom. I do not appreciate the fact that every time I get an ask saying, “I’m new to comics, but I love the movies, can you recommend a comic?” I cannot, in good conscience recommend Captain America. I will not, especially to a new, female reader who loves the Cap she’s seen on the screen. Because Remender does not write that Cap.
5. He is a hack. I’ve seen more compelling plots and character development from the average AO3 fic.
I don’t like him. I’d be happy to see him driven from comics. I’d be happy to have Cap in better hands. I will not buy anything else with his name on it. I have let Marvel know as much, and I continue to support comics with creators who, in my opinion, treat their characters and their fanbase with more respect.
I mean, how does the color of his skin change who his character is? There aren’t black dudes in Philadelphia? (I have been greatly misinformed about Philly. Someone should tell The Roots). Nebraska is only white? (It’s not. There is a 1.8% Asian population and the historical ancestry of the state puts it at 8.7 Mexican.)
Why can’t a renowned medical doctor be Israeli? Why can’t he be born in Tel Aviv? Why can’t a master of the mystical arts be East Indian?
WHAT DO HIS PARENTS NAMES HAVE TO DO WITH IT? My mother is a fucking proud, strong, German and Maori woman, and her name is Shelley. The whitest name on the fucking planet.
Why does he have to be white? Why does Tony Stark have to be white? Why do any of these fucking white men that have populated the Marvel Cinematic Universe have to be white?* Ya’ll are okay with Hulk fitting into Bruce Banner’s pants but HEAVEN FUCKING FORBID WE THROW A LITTLE DARKNESS INTO THE MIX.
And please, please don’t tell me that it’s not book accurate because I’m pretty fucking sure that Asgard doesn’t have laser cannons and little flying dinghies but no one seemed to have a problem with that.
Look, I know he’s white. And I know Marvel Studios are going to cast another white dude in a lead role. I know I’m not going to get this, I know representation in Marvel movies is, as yet, relegated to sidekicks and secondary characters. Which is more than other studios do. But it’s not enough, it’s never going to be enough, and I’m not going to stop talking about it. Sorry honey, sorry to go off on you a little, but…yeah. This is a great chance for Marvel Studios to Do Better, and I know they’re not going to.
But hey maybe they’ll cast a black woman as Doctor Stephanie Strange WOULDN’T THAT BE A FUCKING TRIP.
(hah no no, a black woman in the mcu, where do I come up with this gibberish…)
*I have two personal exceptions to this when it comes to top-tier characters. Cap and Luke Cage, who I feel hold their race as an integral part of who they are, and how their history has unfolded.
IM SORRY BUT I CANT STOP LAUGHING BECAUSE WHEN I READ PHILADELPHIA MY INITIAL REACTION WAS TO START SINGING “IN WEST PHILADELPHIA BORN AND RAISED” AND THEN I REMEMBERED THAT THIS PERSON WAS USING PHILADELPHIA AS A REASON FOR SOMEONE BEING WHITE
IN WEST PHILADELPHIA BORN AND RAISED IN A SANCTUM WAS WHERE I SPENT MOST OF MY DAYS CHILLIN OUT MAXIN AND RELAXIN ALL COOL CONJURING DEMONS OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL
WHEN A COUPLE OF MINDLESS ONES UP TO NO GOOD, STARTED RAISING DORMAMMU IN MY NEIGHBOURHOOD. I GOT IN ONE WIZARD BATTLE AND CLEA GOT SCARED AND SAID YOU’RE MOVING IN WITH TONY AND THE AVENGERS IN BEL AIR
Oh my god.
THAT RHYMING WAS AMAZING DO IT AGAIN