- Nigeria is 24th in world’s largest GDP
- 20% of Namibia is a wildlife conservancy
- Democracies in Africa: South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Lesotho, Benin, Mali
- Look at Nairobi, Kenya at night
- Ethiopia is the 12th fastest growing economy in the world
- Mauritius offers free schooling to citizens
As I said in my FAQ, I generally don’t answer questions that take less than five minutes to answer, but I was feeling especially helpful tonight. I’m sure someone else can continue your education in the comments.
Having recently had to school someone on Facebook on exactly this subject, here’s some more stuff:
- Ghana’s fashion industry
- The Kenyan tech boom
- Botswana’s capital, Gaborone
- Botswana scores better on the Corruption Perceptions Index than Israel, Spain, Taiwan, and South Korea
- African writers by country
- Prominent African scientists, engineers, and inventors
I hope this helps.
I do the research so that you don’t have to: MCU/Captain America Edition
A history of asthma rescue medicine (note: those rescue inhalers we all know and love? Only slightly older than Peter Capaldi.) Seriously, guys: assume every fucking medical thing we take for granted did not yet exist, and if you think it might have, Doctors Bing and Google can tell you if you’re on the right track. Just search for “history of [insert medical technology here].”
Life in the 1940s in Brooklyn (personal memories of someone)
Wikipedia on iceboxes (Also, even if there was an electric refrigerator, ever seen an old-school one? Not like what we’ve got now, I tell you what.)
Some basics to get you started. I’ve read too many otherwise lovely stories that throw me out because of anachronisms. Which, you know, happens when you’re Tumblr Old. Especially when you’re Tumblr Old, and your parents were of very mature years when you were born. (Old enough to remember WWII, they are!)
For reasons various and sundry, WWII America is a research gold mine, and friends don’t let friends write without research.
(Also, feel free to reblog. I’ve no idea how to tag this so people can find it, but damn it, I want them to.)